Monday, November 19, 2012

Those books I didn't get to in 2011.

Remember this post? At the end of last year I listed some of the books I bought last year that I was sure I would love if only I'd actually gotten around to reading them. The other day I thought I should have a look & see if I had managed to read any of them this year or whether they'd been overrun by the new arrivals. Surprisingly I didn't do too badly. Here's the list, with links to the posts about the books I read.

Helen - Maria Edgeworth
Patronage - Maria Edgeworth
Between the Acts - Virginia Woolf
Westwood by Stella Gibbons
Life Among the Savages - Shirley Jackson
No Surrender - Constance Maud
Millions Like Us - Virginia Nicholson
Georgette Heyer - Jennifer Kloester
Now All Roads Lead to France - Matthew Hollis

I read half of Life Among the Savages before throwing it (gently) aside. I know Simon loved it but I just didn't like the narrator's voice. Maybe it was the wrong day to read it. A very hot day at the beginning of the year when I didn't have much patience with anything so I may go back to it one day & try again.

Having read one Maria Edgeworth novel this year I'm not sure when I'll get to Patronage. The other three books have now left the tbr shelves & are sitting on the desk. I would love to read them all before the end of the year. Then I can write another post about this year's books that arrived in a glow of enthusiasm but didn't get any further than the tbr shelves.

4 comments:

  1. I so wanted to read all the books that I bought this year in a timely manner - but I'm not even close. I think that's going to be my top new year's resolution - maybe I'll do better in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make the same resolution nearly every year & I usually manage to stop buying books for a while but I never make much of a dent in the tbr shelves.

      Delete
  2. it's so funny - the surest way to ensure that I won't read a book is to buy it! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this! I think it has something to do with library books having due dates -- but because of this I've evolved (not very scientifically or definitively, though) into a system of buying books AFTER I read them ... which doesn't make a lot of sense, either. :)

    (I just dipped into the Jennifer Kloester biography but it seemed kind of slow and I set it aside in the press of other books.}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a few library books that I can't renew at the moment so they've definitely pushed aside my own books for a bit. I also sometimes buy books after I've read them if it's something I know I'll want to reread but most of mine are new to me & waiting for the right moment to arrive.

      Delete