Sunday, January 3, 2016

Sunday Poetry - The Old Year Now Away Is Fled

Happy New Year to everyone who visits I Prefer Reading.
This is a lovely New Year song, sung to the tune of Greensleeves. Here's a version sung by TENET & another by the Chicago Early Music Consort.

Here's to another year of health, happiness & lots of wonderful reading.

The old yeare now away is fled
The new year it is entered;
Then let us now our sins downe tread
And joyfully all appeare.
Let's merry be this holy day
And let us now both sport and play
Hang sorrow! Let's cast care away
God send you a happy new yeare!

For Christ's circumcision this day we keepe,
Who for our sins did often weepe;
His hands and feet were wounded deepe,
And his blessed side with a speare;
His head they crowned then with thorne,
And at him they did laugh and scorne,
Who for to save our soules was born.
God send us a merry new yeare!

And now, with new-yeare's gifts each friend
Unto each other they doe send;
God grant we may our lives amend,
And that the truth may appeare.
Now, like the snake, cast off your skin
Of evill thoughts, and wicked sin,
And to amend this new yeare begin
God send us a merry new yeare!

And now let all the company
In friendly manner all agree,
For we are here welcome, all may see
Unto this jolly good cheer;
I thanke my master and my dame,
The which are founders of the same;
To eate and drinke now is no shame:
God send us a merry new year!

Come, lads and lasses, every one -
Jack, Tom, Dick, Besse, Mary and Jone -
Let's cut the meate up into the bone,
For welcome you need not feare!
And here for good liquor we shall not lack:
It will whet my braines and strengthen my back;
This jolly good cheere it must goe to wrack!
God send us a merry new yeare!

Come, give's more liquor when I doe call,
Ile drink to each one in this hall!
I hope that so loud I must not baule,
But unto me lend an eare:
Good fortune to my master send
And to my dame which is our friend;
Lord blesse us all! - and so I end;

No comments:

Post a Comment