Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sunday Poetry - Sir Walter Scott

I've had a lovely time browsing through the first section, Romantic Hallmarks, of my anthology The New Penguin Book of Romantic Verse. Lochinvar by Sir Walter Scott is one of my favourite poems.

I first read it as a child in this anthology by Louis Untermeyer. This edition is dated 1968 although I was probably a little older when I really began to enjoy it. Looking through it again I was reminded how many of my favourite poems were first read in this book.

The lovely illustrations by Joan Walsh Anglund have also become part of my memory of the poems. I've also been listening to a BBC audiobook called Great Love Poems over the last week & Lochinvar was beautifully read by Bill Paterson so finding it in my anthology was obviously meant to be. Lochinvar is part of the much longer narrative poem, Marmion. It is Marmion that St John Rivers gives to Jane Eyre on that wintry November night when he tears an absentminded scribble from the corner of one of Jane's drawings & discovers her secret.

O young Lochinvar is come out of the west,
Through all the wide Border his steed was the best;
And save his good broadsword he weapons had none,
He rode all unarm’d, and he rode all alone.
So faithful in love, and so dauntless in war,
There never was knight like the young Lochinvar.

He staid not for brake, and he stopp’d not for stone,
He swam the Eske river where ford there was none;
But ere he alighted at Netherby gate,
The bride had consented, the gallant came late:
For a laggard in love, and a dastard in war,
Was to wed the fair Ellen of brave Lochinvar.

So boldly he enter’d the Netherby Hall,
Among bride’s-men, and kinsmen, and brothers and all:
Then spoke the bride’s father, his hand on his sword,
(For the poor craven bridegroom said never a word,)
“O come ye in peace here, or come ye in war,
Or to dance at our bridal, young Lord Lochinvar?”

“I long woo’d your daughter, my suit you denied;—
Love swells like the Solway, but ebbs like its tide—
And now I am come, with this lost love of mine,
To lead but one measure, drink one cup of wine.
There are maidens in Scotland more lovely by far,
That would gladly be bride to the young Lochinvar.”

The bride kiss’d the goblet: the knight took it up,
He quaff’d off the wine, and he threw down the cup.
She look’d down to blush, and she look’d up to sigh,
With a smile on her lips and a tear in her eye.
He took her soft hand, ere her mother could bar,—
“Now tread we a measure!” said young Lochinvar.

So stately his form, and so lovely her face,
That never a hall such a galliard did grace;
While her mother did fret, and her father did fume,
And the bridegroom stood dangling his bonnet and plume;
And the bride-maidens whisper’d, “’twere better by far
To have match’d our fair cousin with young Lochinvar.”

One touch to her hand, and one word in her ear,
When they reach’d the hall-door, and the charger stood near;
So light to the croupe the fair lady he swung,
So light to the saddle before her he sprung!
“She is won! we are gone, over bank, bush, and scaur;
They’ll have fleet steeds that follow,” quoth young Lochinvar.

There was mounting ’mong Graemes of the Netherby clan;
Forsters, Fenwicks, and Musgraves, they rode and they ran:
There was racing and chasing on Cannobie Lee,
But the lost bride of Netherby ne’er did they see.
So daring in love, and so dauntless in war,
Have ye e’er heard of gallant like young Lochinvar?

4 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to say that that is the first time I've read that poem - and I'm Scottish. I love the illustrations too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Katrina. I've never read the rest of Marmion although I know this poem so well. I really should get to it one of these days.

      Delete
  2. It's easy to forget to read poetry ..yet it can be so enjoyable and :just right' at times...Thank you for reminding me and setting me off to look for my favourites :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I started Sunday Poetry for the same reason. I realised I never took the time to read poetry anymore. It's been a lovely exercise to read the anthologies I've had on my shelves for years.

      Delete