Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Poetry - Allan Ramsay

I was searching for a poem about cold, bitter weather as a contrast to the very hot week we've had but I couldn't find one in my current anthology, Translated Kingdoms. So, I chose a melancholy Highland lament, Lochaber No More, by Allan Ramsay.
I've been reading a new novel set in a haunted Scottish castle so it's appropriate in that context if not particularly wintery in subject. Here it is set to music & sung by folk band Breabach.The clip includes some gorgeous Scots scenery as well.

Farewell to Lochaber! and farewell, my Jean,   
Where heartsome with thee I hae mony day been;   
For Lochaber no more, Lochaber no more,   
We’ll maybe return to Lochaber no more!   
These tears that I shed they are a’ for my dear,           
And no for the dangers attending on wear,   
Though borne on rough seas to a far bloody shore,   
Maybe to return to Lochaber no more.   

Though hurricanes rise, and rise every wind,   
They’ll ne’er make a tempest like that in my mind;           
Though loudest of thunder on louder waves roar,   
That’s naething like leaving my love on the shore.   
To leave thee behind me my heart is sair pained;   
By ease that’s inglorious no fame can be gained;   
And beauty and love’s the reward of the brave,           
And I must deserve it before I can crave.   

Then glory, my Jeany, maun plead my excuse;   
Since honor commands me, how can I refuse?   
Without it I ne’er can have merit for thee,   
And without thy favor I’d better not be.           
I gae then, my lass, to win honor and fame,   
And if I should luck to come gloriously hame,   
I’ll bring a heart to thee with love running o’er,   
And then I’ll leave thee and Lochaber no more.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I can't wait to see which book your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All will be revealed this week, I hope, Peggy Ann.

      Delete