Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Poetry - John Donne

This is one of the Holy Sonnets &, as ever with Donne, reading this poem is a physical, almost breathless experience. Look at the verbs he uses - batter, knock, break, bend, divorce, break, imprison, ravish. Donne's relationship with God was not a polite, distant one, it was very physical & immediate. I watched a documentary a few months ago about Donne. It was presented by Simon Schama & Fiona Shaw read the poetry. Her reading of this poem was a highlight.

Batter my heart, three-person'd God ; for you
As yet but knock ; breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me. 

2 comments:

  1. I have never been one for poetry but this beautiful. I'm drawn to people with this kind of relationship with God. I think he must have a special place in his heart for those of us who do. It is an 'intimate' relationship with a deep abiding love for God at the core.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donne wrote his religious poetry later in life after a pretty adventurous youth & maybe that's why his poetry seems so heartfelt. He really seems to be speaking directly to God & to his readers as well. I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete