Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sunday Poetry - Amy Lowell

I can't really complain of a laggard Spring as my daffodils have been blooming for a couple of weeks now. I'm more concerned about a premature Spring! Anyway, this is Amy Lowell's (photo from here) poem, To an Early Daffodil. I was looking for a daffodil poem that wasn't Wordsworth & I do find daffs cheerful so this is quite appropriate. I just wish they weren't blossoming in what I still think is the middle of winter.

Thou yellow trumpeter of laggard Spring!
Thou herald of rich Summer's myriad flowers!
The climbing sun with new recovered powers
Does warm thee into being, through the ring
Of rich, brown earth he woos thee, makes thee fling
Thy green shoots up, inheriting the dowers
Of bending sky and sudden, sweeping showers,
Till ripe and blossoming thou art a thing
To make all nature glad, thou art so gay;
To fill the lonely with a joy untold;
Nodding at every gust of wind to-day,
To-morrow jewelled with raindrops. Always bold
To stand erect, full in the dazzling play
Of April's sun, for thou hast caught his gold.

6 comments:

  1. She's was a neighbor and it's been very interesting to read a litte about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's another poet I don't know enough about. Too many poets, not enough time!

      Delete
  2. remarkable lady... lovely poem... tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I was weeding around the daffs this morning as it's a lovely late winter day so the poem was even more appropriate. We're meant to get 10mm of rain tomorrow so winter's not over yet.

      Delete
  3. Great choice! I love Lowell's poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'd like to read more of her work.

      Delete