Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Books of the Year - Mystery & Crime

I discovered several new authors this year & read new instalments in some favourite series. The Serpent Pool by Martin Edwards is the latest in his Lake District series & I'm looking forward to the next book, The Hanging Wood, in the New Year. This series has everything I enjoy in a mystery. Atmospheric setting, great plot & a relationship between the main characters that has me on tenterhooks.

Ann Cleeves's award-winning Shetland Quartet had somehow passed me by until this year when I read the last book, Blue Lightning, first. I've since gone back to White Nights & Raven Black. Again, a great location & intriguing characters made these books highlights for me this year.

Elly Griffiths was another new author for me this year. I read the first two books in her series about Ruth Galloway, forensic anthropologist & can't wait for the third to be published next year. Here are links to my reviews of The Crossing Places & The Janus Stone.

Non Fiction tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I've never read Martin Edwards, but in the coming year I am definitely going to. I love the idea of mysteries set in the Lake District of England, one of my favorite places. I'll check out the other authors you mention as well. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this Elly Griffiths novel to read--not sure why I've put it off since The Crossing Places was a cliff hanger of sorts. Glad to hear this was equally as good!

    ReplyDelete